DEAR LAW STUDENT,
The GARDEN STATE BAR ASSOCIATION (GSBA) cordially invites you to apply to be one of our 2016-2017 Scholarship Recipients. The Scholarship will be awarded on Saturday, June 10, 2017 at our 42nd Annual Scholarship & Awards Gala.
The GSBA was created to support African-American and other attorneys of color to gain and maintain permanence in the legal profession in the State of New Jersey. In an effort to give back to the community, twenty-five (25) years ago, the GSBA created a Scholarship Fund to help African-American law students attending schools in New Jersey. Traditionally, one student from each of New Jersey’s law schools was chosen to receive a scholarship. However, the GSBA has expanded the scholarship program to permit New Jersey residents attending law schools outside of New Jersey to apply.
In order to apply for the scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in a New Jersey law school or a New Jersey resident enrolled in an accredited law school in another state;
- A full-time first or second year student, or a part-time first, second or third-year student;
- In good academic standing (an official certificate of good standing must accompany the application);
- Demonstration of financial need;
- Significant involvement in law school and community activities, which benefit the African-American community;
- Submission of a Scholarship Application;
- Submission of a current resume;
- Submission of an official Certificate of Good Standing;
- Submission of current transcript; and
- Submission of Biography (no more than a single page)
Email deadline of March 15, 2017 (applications received after this date will not be considered).
Tentatively, interviews will be scheduled for the week of April 10, 2017.
In addition to the above, all applications will be judged based upon their content, clarity, ability to follow directions and professionalism. It is our intent to award at least three scholarships. However, failure to abide by the above criteria may result in less than three scholarships being awarded.
Qualified law students who are interested in applying should forward the above in one email at the same time to: DEMETRICE R. MILES, ESQ. at DMILES@MSBNJ.COM
"INTELLIGENCE PLUS CHARACTER–THAT IS THE GOAL OF TRUE EDUCATION"
MARTIN LUTHER KING